Friday, April 11, 2008

Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls



You won't believe the nightmare I went through to bake this. I made the dough last night and left it in the fridge, chiller to be exact. I figured there wasn't enough time to bake it last night as I was tired from a whole day's course. After the dough cycle was complete, I took the dough out, applied some oil on the surface and wrapped it with cling wrap. I left it in a disposable box and placed it in the chiller.

To my horror, when I took it out of the fridge tonight, the dough had grown to double it's size last night! I was at a loss, didn't know what to do as Rei had told me that extended proofing may cause damage to the bread's structure, resulting in a hard bread. I thought what did I have to lose anyway, why not just bake it.

So I quickly prepared the filling and got on with rolling the dough. Somehow, I thought the dough wasn't thin enough so I kept rolling and rolling. Finally, satisfied with the thickness, I brushed melted butter and sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on the surface. As I was afraid that it would be too sweet, I did not use the entire amount that I had prepared. Then I added the chocolate chips and began (swiss-) rolling the dough. After that, I sliced the dough and added even more chocolate chips. I didn't even wait for them to proof any more, preheated the oven and baked them for 25 minutes.

The smell of the cinnamon rolls was so alluring and sweet. The air was filled with the aroma of cinnamon. Thankfully, the rolls browned nicely. Of course, presentation has to be improved. Perhaps if the rolls were allowed to proof a second time, they would rise properly. This won't be the last time I'm making these anyway. Next time I would increase the amount of cinnamon and of course, let the bread go the natural course.

Oh, by the way, as of today I am a proud graduate of ...


This below is just a glimpse of magic, fun and creativity that went on for past 2 wonderful days ...

No comments: