Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Banana Rum Cake


I doubt I would be baking any regular banana cake after this. Afterall, this is so easy to put together as well. A cyber friend in Hong Kong told me that she had baked a banana cake with rum-soaked raisins and walnuts. When I looked at her photograph, I couldn't help but want to try to bake it myself. Besides, I had received a copy of Nigella Lawson's How to be a Domestic Goddes since last Christmas.

The recipe looked fairly simple and there are many resources, even videos, easily available on the internet. I didn't even need to use a mixer. It was so easy to make that I made it twice this week. The picture above is the improved version as the first one had a huge crack in the middle. My mistake with the first attempt was wrong oven temperature. The cake was dark and cracked, it also looked really dry. However, it was very soft and tasty, especially on the second day. I shared the first loaf with my group of tasters and they gave their "stamp of approval" saying that the cake was "nice and moist". That encouraged me to bake another batch for a dear friend, whom I'll be meeting tomorrow.

On VB's advice, I tented the pans during baking to see if I would get a better result. And I'm glad I did that, as the cakes turned out so beautiful -- without any cracks! For the second attempt, I even brushed the top of the cakes with some rum! I was determined to intoxicate anyone who consumes the cake! I can't wait to see my friend's reaction tomorrow.

Now, to show you version one, see the crack and difference in colour? It looked dry and hard too, but tasted great even on the third day.

3 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Yuri,
Rum does goes well with most cakes, especially chocolate cakes wor! I also have this Myers Dark Rum. I really love this Rum, it's just so versatile! From what I know, alcohol can keep cakes preserved longer. I realised putting alcohol in cakes, creams or mousse can make them taste divine! Btw, adding alcohol, or Rum in the cake, after baking, the alcohol will not be that strong already right? :p I thought they would have evaporated? Yes? No? ;p

Yuri said...

Yes, alcohol evapourates but somehow, some people can still detect the taste of rum, like my husband. He said it was so strong. I didn't even pour any rum into the first loaf, just used rum soaked raisins (for a few days).

Raisins for second attempt were soaked for 1 day only, so the cake didn't taste like rum at all :(

Yuri said...

Yes, alcohol evapourates but somehow, some people can still detect the taste of rum, like my husband. He said it was so strong. I didn't even pour any rum into the first loaf, just used rum soaked raisins (for a few days).

Raisins for second attempt were soaked for 1 day only, so the cake didn't taste like rum at all :(