Saturday, July 5, 2008

No Venture, No Gain


It's my first attempt at Sponge Dough Method. In his book, The World of Bread, Alex Goh described that this method needs a longer preparation time. As a result, it produces a softer, bigger loaf which keeps longer.

Compared to previous wholemeal loaves, it does seem a little bigger. Softer, it is not. In fact compared to the picture found in 孟老师的100道面包, it's a far cry. Even from the photo in the book, one can see that the dough was rolled up nicely. For mine, the dough was too sticky to be handled. No matter how much I oiled my hands, the dough would still stick.

But this will not be the end of Sponge Dough Method for me, not just yet. I was probably a little too eager and didn't allow enough time for the first dough to proof, only 90 minutes (according to the recipe), a far cry from Alex Goh's recommended 2 to 4 hours. I shall post the recipe later, so that shifus out there can dissect the problem with the sticky dough.

No comments: