Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Celebrating 100 Posts



Celebrating Yuri's Bake Journal's 100th post today! Hip Hip Hurray! I cannot believe that I've reached this milestone in under a year. I raked my brain to find something to signify this achievement. I was somewhat happy that I was too busy and worn out with fatigue to bake last week.

My girl requested that I bake something for her CCA party on Friday, she asked for a
chocolate pie. But I wasn't keen to make pies, and definitely not the same pie again. Then I remembered seeing something interesting, check it out here. Now, that's something worthwhile and pretty to mark post number 100.

HOWEVER, that was not to be. Firstly, I am unable to steam bake the cheesecake, as my microwave oven is too small. So, I thought perhaps I could buy a no-frills cheesecake from the supermarket! Then I found out that I could get a cheesecake from one of the Japanese restaurants. Eventually, I bought a frozen baked cheesecake from the supermarket instead as I couldn't wait to try. I found that even though the cheesecake was frozen, it wasn't easy to work with it. The cake went soft so quickly and the balls just won't be round. I emailed
Passionate about Baking to find out about her experience. She provided some suggestions, but I didn't want to take the chance of having my girl bring sub-standard stuff to the party.

Then she recommended making chocolate coated cornflakes. Bingo! I remembered this from Nigella Lawson,
Chocolate Caramel Crispy Cakes. I had book-marked this recipe for so long, in fact, I had once bought 4 Mars bars thinking I would try it out. But the folks at home ate all the Mars bars before I could do anything! I was also very distracted then with many other things, possibly chiffon cakes.




And so, this Chocolate Caramel Crispy Cakes became the star of the 100th post. My daughter was very enthusiastic and she decorated them. She was so happy to finally have the chance to make use of my collection of toppings. She was the only one who tasted them and she said they were delicious. Of course, they are delicious, I added more chocolates, which explains the deeper colour. The aroma of chocolate was mesmerising as well, perhaps that was why I didn't feel like tasting any. She wants me to make another batch so that she can bring some to share with her primary school friends on Saturday.

9 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Wow! You finally made it Yuri! Congratulations! They looked so beautiful! Gee, I hope I can get a chance to taste it! ;) I'm glad it all worked out really good for you! Three cheers for Yuri! Hip-hip, hooray! Hip-hip, hooray! Hip-hip, hooray! After two rounds of making this, you'll be an expert! ;)

Jane

Yuri said...

Thanks J, if not for your suggestion, I would have forgotten about this recipe. One mistake with this though, I used too much butter cos I estimated wrongly :S

Small Small Baker said...

Hi Yuri, congrats on your 100th post. Look forward to more bakes from u. :)

Happy Homebaker said...

Congrats on your 100th post! Looking forward to reading your next hundred :)

Yuri said...

Thanks ssb and hhb, it's also because of the inspiration from all of you that i've reached this milestone...

VB said...

Congrats!

Yuri said...

Thanks vb!

Rei said...

Hey Yuri, know what? My dd loves it. Thanks for passing me some of these. \(^o^)/

Yuri said...

really rei! i'm so happy she loves it. super easy to make but gotta be patient to wait for mars bar (nougat layer) to melt.