Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy 2009!


Gosh, 2008 came and went in a flash! To some, it was probably not a good year so no love lost. I can't help but wonder how it was for me... well, another year older, that's for sure.

As usual, we hosted a small gathering (considering how big all the kids have grown, small is really an understatement) at our home on New Year's Eve. Hubs wants to host so he can drink as much as he desiers since to him, I am NOT qualified as a "back-up" driver. I always say that I am destined to be a passenger more than a driver, anyway.

The strangest thing this year was that almost everyone had dinner plans when he extended the invitation! I told him that perhaps he was very late in inviting, that was the reason. Everyone didn't want to take for granted that we would host the gathering again, but they didn't realise that Hubs is one who will offer to be host year after year ... that's him. I was glad to have the opportunity to focus on canapes and desserts, for once!

I tried to re-create a very delicious smoked salmon canape I had tasted not so long ago. I bought some sweet mini pie crust (to standby) in case the baked mini bread cups didn't turn out. In the end, it was the mini bread cups that won most support. I also goggled for help with bruschetta and did the most basic one.

I tried to make tzatziki to go with the smoked salmon so it won't be too dry. This being the first time I am making it blind (without tasting it before), I had to rely on how my tongue (and my kids') reacted to it. Well, to me, it played a quite role of keeping the canape moist and let the smoked salmon dominate. I am happy with the result as the kids kept asking for more!

For dessert, I made a Rum Peach Pie and a Chocolate Banana Pie. I also made Bubur Cha Cha, my very first attempt and a last minute decision. Thanks to the internet and KC forum, I found many ideas and recipes. How do you like the Rum Pech Tart, recipe thanks to HHB.

4 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Yuri,
Congrats on the success of all your bakes! You're really super duper to make all these yourself! Goodness. Really look like a lot of work to me leh!
I shall try the canapes next time. Looks real good!

Gina Choong said...

I got bruschetta recipe at KC mah! Learnt from a chef from the Mount Pleasant Cafe Restaurant at the Singapore Polo Club. They used to serve that there. Now the restaurant is no longer there. Thank God, I still have many of the recipes Chef WK taught me. I loved the Greek salad he taught me.

Aimei said...

Happy 2009 to you! May all things goes well for you. :D

Yuri said...

PAB: Canapes are easy to prepare and they definitely dazzled the guests.

Gina: Yeah, I looked all over and settled for the simplest cos didn't want to stress myself out. Greek salad eh? Shall try :)

Aimei: All the best to u too!